This Flaxseed Cracker Recipe is simple to make. Just a few ingredients and some well soaked Golden Flax Seeds and you’ll have a constant supply of tasty, crunchy crackers!
Before you begin, note that you will need to SOAK THE FLAXSEEDS. At a minimum, soak overnight (8hrs) but you can leave longer… up to 36 hours will make the flaxseeds bind together really well, but if you’re not that well organized or pushed for time, then just pop them into a bowl overnight.
Soak Time: 8-36 hours
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 2hrs (oven) to 12 hrs (dehydrator)
1 cup (150g) Golden Flaxseed (linseed)
2 Tbs (40ml) Golden Flaxseed Meal (linseed meal)
3/4 cup (190ml) Water
3 Tbs (15ml) Tamari (wheat-free soy sauce)
3 Tbs (15ml) Agave, Maple or Coconut Syrup
1/6 Tsp Onion Powder
1/6 Tsp Garlic Powder (optional)
- Mix the soaked flaxseed and dry flaxseed meal in a bowl.
- Combine the water, tamari, agave, onion and garlic powder in a jug and mix well.
- Pour the mixture over the flaxseeds and stir thoroughly.
- Leave to stand for 10-15 minutes, stirring regularly until the thickened, but not too stiff.
- Spread mixture thinly over a dehydrator sheet or baking paper if using your oven.
- Score lightly with spatula or knife.
- Dehydrate for 12-36 hours at 40-45 deg C turning the crackers after 5 or 6 hours. If using your oven, then try to keep the door slightly open to allow dry crackers to ‘dry’ and flip after 45mins-1hr.
- Break crackers along score lines and store in an airtight container.
You can vary the garlic and onion ingredients to suit your own taste, but some alternatives you may want to try are:
Be adventurous and you’ll soon find that your own homemade crackers and much fresher, tastier and a lot less expensive than store-bought crackers. Try some Vegan Garlic Mayo as a dip. This recipe keeps well in the fridge for up to 10 days!!
Scott Mathias is a Digestive Health Specialist living in beautiful Queensland, Australia and teaching globally. His journey to excellent health began when he sought and found natural means to heal himself of a chronic digestive disorder. He proceeded to further change his lifestyle to support his ongoing excellent health by learning to prepare and serve the most amazing whole-food plant-based recipes. Download Scott’s FREE 7 Day Meal Planner
Powered by Facebook Comments